- If a writer knows enough about what he is writing about, he may omit things that he knows. The dignity of movement of an iceberg is due to only one ninth of it being above water.
- That is what we are supposed to do when we are at our best – make it all up – but make it up so truly that later it will happen that way.
- When writing a novel a writer should create living people; people not characters. A character is a caricature.
- All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.
- To F. Scott Fitzgerald: “Write the best story that you can and write it as straight as you can.”
- To an aspiring writer: “You shouldn’t write if you can’t write.”